Recently, I, along with many other anglers, have found myself engaged with paddle boarding as a new addition to the sport of fishing. This is because paddle boards offer fascinating benefits that kayaks or canoes cannot seem to accommodate.
That said, there are specific requirements for a paddle board to be a good fit with our passion fishing; hence why I am sharing my knowledge about it in this best fishing paddle boards – review and buying guide. Hopefully, this article can assist you once you finally hit the market to purchase one.
Quick Overview – Best Fishing Paddle Boards
- Best All Around Fishing Paddle Board: Bluefin Cruise SUP Package Stand Up Inflatable Paddle Board
- Best Value Fishing Paddle Board:
- Elkton Outdoors Grebe Fishing Inflatable Paddle Board
- Best Hard Fishing Paddle Board:
- California Board Company CBC 10' Marlin Foam Fishing SUP
- Most Stable Fishing Paddle Board: SereneLife Inflatable Stand Up Paddle Board
Quick Comparison – Best Fishing Paddle Boards
Paddleboard fishing has become a trend nowadays due to the challenge and thrill it brings. It also allows for more productive fishing trips, given that paddle boards provide access to areas that cannot be reached with kayaks or boats, making fishing possible practically everywhere. Likewise, you can have a better aerial view when scouting above the water while remaining stealthy on game fishes at the same time.
Having these advantages in mind, I am quite confident that you are more than convinced to already shop for your own fishing paddle board. But before you do so, you have to be mindful of several things to guarantee that you will end up with the right one to suit your needs.
Paddle Board Measurements
When it comes to fishing paddle boards, size does matter. So you should take into account the width, length, and thickness to ensure that the most suitable product will land in your possession.
The width is necessary to promote stability when standing up and throwing a cast from a paddle board. That is why if you are new to this experience, I recommend wide boards that measure at least 30 inches so that you can keep your balance and confidently position yourself in the proper formation. The spacious area also gives extra security when the weather is rough.
In case you plan to have company while going on a paddleboard fishing adventure, you want your board to be 12 feet or longer. That way, not only you and your buddy will not risk bumping against each other, but you will also have enough space to place all your tools, gears, and belongings.
Additionally, paddle boards with a thickness of six inches at a minimum are ideal. That is because they are high enough to keep water from reaching the surface of the board, meaning your feet or socks are likely to stay dry throughout the fishing trip. Moreover, thick stand up paddle boards or SUPs are often compact and can provide additional stability when sailing under less favorable circumstances.
Let us get this straight: A paddle board is useless if it cannot stay afloat. That said, it is vital to decide how much load you want your board to sustain. Based on my firsthand experience, one great way to accomplish that is by estimating the maximum weight you can put on the SUP.
In other words, you should consider your weight and the weight of the equipment you intend to bring. Similarly, if you are expecting to have somebody with you on board, you should go for the ones that have the capacity to carry at least three adults.
The materials used in manufacturing paddle boards can be rigid or inflatable. Rigid fishing SUPs are commonly made of hard plastics or foams with a strong epoxy resin coating that makes them more immune to tearing and popping. This type of model works better with beginners because it has a higher center of gravity, increasing stability when riding on it.
The disadvantage to it, though, is that it is difficult to store and transport because it cannot be folded up like inflatable boards. Nonetheless, you can still load it if you own a pickup truck, or you can install a roof rack on your vehicle to make the transportation much more convenient.
On the other hand, inflatable paddle boards are built from military-grade, double-layer PVC to make them less susceptible to damages caused by jagged sticks, rocks, and mangrove beds. But this does not mean that they are resistant to ripping, especially when they are regularly used. Regardless, this model is quite more in-demand than rigid ones because it is lightweight, less challenging to handle, and can quickly be deflated for easier storage.
You do not want your fishing trip to be spoiled just because you keep on slipping and struggling to maintain balance. To avoid any of that, you need to consider choosing SUPs that feature a textured EVA pad. Not only will these keep you standing up but also allow your apparatus and tools to remain in place and onboard.
Similarly, I suggest that you should look out for models that have a padded seating area. We all know that fishing takes time, which means you will probably feel the need to sit down while waiting. Thus, making sure that your board is padded with durable foam is a wise move to add comfort to the experience.
However, if that does not satisfy you, several SUPs are also equipped with a seat back that you can lean on for extra back support. For those who enjoy being crafty, meanwhile, manually setting up a seat on a board can be a great choice to test their handicraft skills.
Storage and Holders
There are some things to watch out for to determine if a paddle board has enough storage space. These include D-rings, bungee ropes, and even an enclosed bay that come very handy as they can give plenty of space where you can secure your tackle boxes, fishing rods and reels, and other equipment.
Apart from these gears, paddles are another stuff you have to worry about. Of course, it is a no brainer that you can just lay them down on the board, but there is the risk that they may fall. To resolve that, you need to purchase a SUP that is armed with paddle and rod holders. After all, these holders are among the defining attributes that distinguish fishing paddle boards from standard SUPs.
The Best Fishing Paddle Boards Review – Our Top Picks
Like many other fishing products scattered all over the marketplace, paddle boards are sold in different forms, sizes, and features. Learning those important factors might still not be enough to guarantee that you will find the one. This is why I have compiled and reviewed four of my personal favorites in this article to make the decision less stress-free for you.
The Best Inflatable Fishing Paddle Board
- There is a lot of space to move around for new learners and ambitious experts.
- It is a complete package with numerous areas for storage.
- The materials are high quality and can withstand exposure to the sun and punctures.
- Bluefin offers a 5-year warranty to repair manufacturing defects.
- The SUPs can be quite heavy.
- The fiberglass paddles can be difficult to handle for some users.
Manufactured by renowned brand Bluefin, this inflatable SUP is among the most versatile of its kind. It comes with a width of 33 inches and 10 feet and 8 inches in length. As such, the weight capacity increases to a maximum of 240 kilograms that can carry over two adults.
Bluefin SUPs are built using 1000 Denier Exo Surface Laminated PVC and Pro Weave Drop Stitch, making the boards rigid and stable for beginners and professional paddlers. The product also includes a package containing a kayak conversion kit, a GoPro mount, a durable travel backpack, two fiberglass paddles, and a double-action pump.
The Best Value Fishing Paddle Board
- Thanks to its wide and long sizes, it is stable and spacious.
- It is safe from tearing and ripping.
- Slipping is not an issue because it uses a textured EVA pad.
- The board has enough storage space and is packed with several additions.
- It takes quite a bit of time to fully inflate.
The Elkton Outdoors Grebe SUP boasts itself for its undeniable value, being one of the highest in-demand boards on the market. With dimensions of 12 x 3 feet and a weight capacity of 132 kilograms, it is impressively lightweight and easy to store. It also provides various accessories, namely a pair of adjustable paddles, rod holders, an ankle leash, and a high-pressure pump. Add to these are the built-in Scotty Mounting plates that can be used to install cameras, GPS, and more on the board.
The paddle board is constructed using a heavy-duty, double-layer PVC strengthened by the Drop Stitch Technology to ensure that it can resist damages. You also need not worry about slipping because it is equipped with a textured EVA pad. Moreover, six D-rings and bungee ropes at front and rear ends are available to allot space for gears and fishing equipment.Amazon
The Best Hard Fishing Paddle Board
- It is very lightweight and easy to bring from one place to another.
- It can be purchased at a low price.
- The product has enough bungee cords to secure stuff onboard.
- It is stable and durable, perfect for new paddlers.
- Measuring 10 feet x 33 inches, it is rather short and likely not to be as fast as longer SUPs.
- The almost 125-kilogram weight capacity is relatively low.
If you are looking for budget-friendly deals, the CBC Marlin SUP is the one to choose. I assure you that even with an affordable price, the durability and quality remain top-notch. Indeed, it is the only non-inflatable board in this list, but its features are undoubtedly no less impressive.
This SUP is made of high-density EPS waterproof foam core, meaning it is ultra-durable and lightweight. It is also convenient to transport due to the pre-installed carry-handle at the center. Bungee ropes at the back and front ends are also attached for storage, and a camera mount and rod holders are present to add other accessories to the board.Amazon
The Most Stable Fishing Paddle Board
- The non-slip deck incorporated into the board minimizes the risk of accidents on board.
- It is quite convenient to carry around as it can be deflated and rolled up.
- The triple bottom panel fins promote better stability and speed.
- With its military-grade materials like the double-layer PVC, the product is proven and tested to be durable against damages.
- The SUP is not as long as other models.
- It has no handle in front or back for those who do not intend to deflate it when transporting.
The SereneLife Inflatable Fishing Paddle Board is the right SUP if you are new to paddle board fishing and in need of a product that can improve your stability and balance. This is because it has triple panel fins at the bottom that can do wonders in enhancing your overall speed, steering, and handling. On top of that, the slip-resistant padding on the deck contributes additional stability. These features compensate for its somewhat small size that clocks in at 10 feet long x 30 inches wide.
The fishing SUP is portable and easy to store as it can be deflated and rolled up after every use. The product includes several accessories such as a foldable paddle, a safety leash, a storage bag, and a manual pump. A repair kit is another addition to this already complete package.Amazon
With the addition of paddle boards to fishing, the sport has indeed reached a new height in terms of excitement. And I am confident that you do not want to miss out on such an exhilarating experience.
I have written this article to enlighten you about the things you first need to consider and introduce you to some of the best SUPs there are on the market. That being said, I hope that this best fishing paddle boards – review and buying guide has helped.
- The Bluefin Cruise Stand Up Paddle Board is the kind that fits all paddlers, both young and professionals. With its versatility, it can serve as a starting gear to learn more about the sport or as a company in exploring deeper into the world of paddle board fishing.
- If you enjoy something that is all about value, you should go for the Elkton Outdoors Grebe SUP. That way, every cent of your money will be well-spent.
- Meanwhile, the CBC Marlin Foam Fishing SUP can be the rightest fit when you plan to purchase a non-inflatable paddle board that is made of hard materials
- Lastly, the best product that can improve your balance when sailing is the SereneLife Inflatable Fishing Paddle Board. This is all thanks to its advanced features that make speed, control, and stability a lot less difficult to master.
If you still have any inquiries, make sure to raise them in the comment section below. I am more than willing to shed light on them to your satisfaction. Welcome to the sport of paddle board fishing!