A fishing multi tool comes in really handy when you are out there catching your favorite fish. It is a multi purpose tool that combines many functions and serves as a fish scaler, bottle opener, screw driver, wire stripper etc.
If you search for the best fishing multi tool online then you will see hundreds of options in the market and dozens of brands. However, not all of them are geared toward enhancing your fishing experience. So, you should keep in mind that the fishing multi tool you select helps you with fishing besides providing help with other DIY activities.
Quick Overview – Best Fishing Multi Tool
- Best All Around Fishing Multi Tool: LEATHERMAN Wave Plus
- Best Value Fishing Multi Tool: Gerber Suspension Multi-Plier
- Most Durable Fishing Multi Tool: MOSSY OAK Multi-Tool
- Best Multi Tool customized for Fishing: Booms Fishing Multitool
Quick Comparison – Best Multi Tools for Fishing
We have come up with some important parameters that you should consider before investing your hard-earned money in a fishing multi tool. Considering all these factors will help you zero in on the right tool for your needs.
When selecting the right fishing multi tool for your needs it is important to look at the quality of the material. Generally, you will come across tools that are made of stainless steel, aluminum, and plastic.
Stainless steel is very durable and is rust free, however, it does need maintenance as it becomes prone to corrosion if proper care is not taken. If you regularly go for salt water fishing then you should make it a point to dry the tool after use so that it does not get corroded with the harsh waters.
Weight & Size
If you are someone who spends long hours fishing then the weight and size of the equipment are important criteria. Go for a multi tool that is not very heavy so that it can be easily carried from one place to another. Try to strike a balance between the weight of the tool and the features that it comes with.
Multi Tool Features
The features of the tool can be selected based on your requirements. If you are looking for multi tools customized for fishing then you would find the ones with pliers’ style tool are handy.
On the other hand, if you are looking for a tool that is great for fishing and also helps you with DIY work at home then it is better to go with tools that have features such as knives, screw drivers, bottle or can openers etc.
Choose multi tools that have sheaths as it protects the tool against the elements and ensures that it lasts long. If the tool does not come with a sheath then you can buy one so that the product lasts long and you don’t have to invest in a new one anytime soon.
The Best Fishing Multi Tools – Our Top Picks
The Best Fishing Multi Tool
- A fresh upgrade to this most popular multitool includes premium replaceable wire cutters
- Can fit into the pocket and features all-locking blades that you can trust around the home, outdoors or on the job
- Packs a quiver of 18 tools, including pliers, replaceable wire cutters, wire stripper, knives, saw, spring-action scissors, ruler, can & bottle openers, files and screwdrivers
- You only need one hand to open and use the compact Wave Plus
- Made in America and comes with a 25-year warranty
- Some customers have reported that the blades flex excessively and this is something that the manufacturers need to fix with the upcoming models
The Wave model is highly popular among avid fishers and the reason behind its immense success is the outside-accessible blades that you can maneuver with just one hand and this feature makes the tool really handy. This model was redesigned by the manufacturers in 2004 to incorporate larger knives, longer wire cutters, stronger pliers, and the all-locking blades.
The newer models, such as this one, also include premium replaceable wire cutters and this is another feature that make this multi tool highly popular. So, it is safe to say that this fishing multi tool is the best for making a quick fix and for carrying out tough fishing jobs. Besides this, you can also use it for DIY jobs around the house and we are sure that you will not be disappointed.
This instant tool kit comes with a set of 18 tools that include pliers, knives, spring-action scissors, wire cutters, saw, ruler, can & bottle openers, screwdrivers and files. Moreover, this product is made in America and has a 25-year warranty so that you know that it will last a lifetime. If you are looking forward to a gift for your loved one who enjoys fishing then you should go for the Wave Plus Multitool. Check out the official leatherman page for FAQs on it!
Features & Specs
- Product Dimensions: 4 x 1.5 x 0.8 inches
- Style: Wave
- Material: Stainless steel
The Best Value Fishing Multi Tool
- Housed in a ballistic nylon sheath, it’s a lightweight tool that enhances your fishing experience
- Has a sturdy and durable stainless-steel construction
- Features a set of 12 tools that come in handy whether you are on your fishing trip or need to fix something in the house
- This product comes with a nylon/canvas pouch and the material does not seem to be of great quality as it wears out fast
The Gerber suspension multi plier is an excellent tool that provides convenience and that too at the best price. The design has a light weight frame so it can be handled with ease and also has spring-loaded pliers so that it can be used comfortably without tiring your hands out. This model features a set of 12 tools and makes sure that you are always ready for your fishing adventure or any other tough job around the house. Some of these tools include a fine-edge knife, serrated knife, spring-loaded pliers, S.AF.T. PLUS locking system, and rough-cut saw, all of which are extremely useful.
This Gerber multitool comes with a nylon ballistic-cloth sheath in order to keep it protected from the harsh weather conditions. The aluminum butterfly-opening handle is inspired by the precision engineering of the suspension bridges in Portland so that you can get the best performance.
Features & Specs
- Product Dimensions: 4 x 1 x 6 inches
- Size: Medium
- Color: Titanium
The Most Durable Fishing Multi Tool
- 420 stainless steel open-frame design that is reliable and lasts long
- This multi-tool comes with a locking design for a safe operation
- Features a nylon sheath that protects the tool from the elements
- The quality of the carrying case can be improved significantly
MOSSY OAK Multi-tool comes with a set of 13 tools that are designed for all your daily requirements. It features a knife blade, saw blade, Philips screwdriver, slotted screwdrivers, along with a bottle opener, needle nose pliers, curved jigsaw pliers, a wire cutter, leather punch, and a file. So, if you are looking for a durable and extra tough multi tool for fishing as well as other DIY activities then MOSSY OAK Multi-tool is the best choice. It comes with 420 stainless steel open-frame design that is reliable and lasts long.
This multi-tool comes with a locking design which implies that all the separate tools on the body of the handle will lock into place with the exception of plier’s head. This design is beneficial when you are using the individual tools as it helps them operate safely. The product also features a nylon sheath that protects the tool from the elements. The sheath features a loop so that you can easily carry this tool from one place to another. The pliers are multi-function and can be used for fishing but also for hiking, hunting and other outdoor activities.
This product is very sustainable and great for the environment as it lasts long and you don’t have to invest in a new one anytime soon.
Features & Specs
- Product Dimensions:4.25 x 1.87 x 0.87 inches
- Size: Pocket Size
- Style:13-in-1 Multi-tool
- Material: Metal
The Best Multi Tool customized for Fishing
- The hook remover has a slightly bent nose with serrated jaws and is handy for reach and grip
- The split ring opener changes lure and hook with ease
- Features a braid cutter that has high-end scissors standard
- The wire cutter is helpful for wire leader
- The quality of the material could be improved as it bends if you try to ply or cut anything more difficult
If you are looking for a multi-tool that is customized for improving your fishing experience then you should go for Booms Fishing L1 Fishing Plier. This multi tool is corrosion resistant as it is made up of anodized and polished stainless steel that is made to last a lifetime if you take proper care.
As a multi-function equipment that is geared toward helping you with fishing the equipment features a plier’s jaw, split ring, cut lines, and sleeves. The pliers are loaded with spring so that you can easily hold them when cutting the lines. The pliers also come with an extra sheath that can be fastened on your belt so that you can easily carry it from one place to another.
The best part about this product is that the manufacturers have provided a lifetime guarantee on it. This ensures hassle-free money back for any non-artificial damages to the equipment.
Features & Specs
- Multi-function pliers for fishermen, 18 in 1
- Material: Stainless Steel and ABS Plastic
Best Fishing Multi Tool – Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
As a fishing enthusiast you have probably realized that there are many activities that you carry out while gearing up to catch your favorite fish. A multi tool ensures that there is no need for you to dig into your tackle box for accomplishing every single chore related to fishing.
A fishing multi tool features a scale scraper, hook remover, bait cutter, tape measure, flashlight, knife, scissors, weight scale, foldable stand, and a bottle opener. All these tools combined into one help in enhancing your fishing experience. For more info, check out this article.
As a fisherman, you would want a bait cutter to cut free when the fish are snagged and a hook remover to pull the hook from the fish’s mouth. Can opener and bottle opener also come in handy when one feels thirsty while fishing in the sun for long hours.
Most multi-tools have an optional pocket or a belt clip that make it super easy to carry the tool. However, not all tools have them. Some of the other popular options include a keychain, nylon sheath with a loop, pocket clip, or a carabiner.
There is a plethora of different multi-tools available on the market and the choices may seem overwhelming. But we have tried to make your job easy by reviewing the best ones so that you can choose the one that suits your needs.
Go for the best fishing multi tool that combines a great variety of tools and is easy to fit in your tackle box and have fun fishing!